Proclaiming Christ in Barry since 1934
The history of Christ Church Presbyterian spans back to 1934, when the Luchana Mission Trust built Wilberforce Hall as a mission chapel on a hillside section of Barry Road. The chapel served as place of worship for dock workers and their families who relocated to Barry during the dramatic expansion era of Barry’s maritime past. The congregation, Wilberforce Evangelical Church, took its name from the chapel. The church was well-known for biblical preaching, and evangelistic children’s work.
In 2013 the congregation entered into the Evangelical Presbyterian Church in England and Wales, and was known also as Barry Evangelical Presbyterian Church. Around this time, the Rev. W. John Cook retired after serving the Lord over fifty years in the Christian ministry and from serving as the Minister of the congregation since 1980. The congregation called the Rev. Drew Goodman to serve as an Associate Minister in 2014, and as the Minister in 2017. Drew was sent by the Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church as a missionary in partnership with the EPCEW.
In 2019, the Luchana Mission Trust purchased an historic chapel in the King’s Square town centre of Barry to replace Wilberforce Hall. The “Jerusalem Methodist Chapel” was built in 1894 by a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist congregation. To commemorate the Trust’s gift to the congregation, and to reflect that our identity is defined by Christ and his cross, the congregation took the name Christ Church Presbyterian.